I don’t know about you, but as the end of a year approaches I can’t help but reflect on what I’ve achieved over the past twelve months. I guess it’s the non-fiction writer in me, but I do like to check in with myself occasionally and ensure I’m on track with what I hoped to achieve.
2015 was a mixed bag for me, there were plenty of amazing opportunities but also a massive life changing event and health issue. I’ll be glad when this year is done if I’m honest.
All this pondering got me thinking about what I would tell my 16-year-old self, about life, love and the future. This is what I came up with:-
- Stay true to who you are, don’t let anyone steal your sparkle.
- Boys come and go – the heartbreak ends and the sun comes up again.
- Enjoy being skinny, it doesn’t last!
- Make lots of wrong decisions because you’ll learn so much. Regret nothing.
- College is great so enjoy yourself but watch out for student night (Southern Comfort is not as nice second time around!)
- Learn a foreign language.
- Your obsession with books will never end.
- They’re going to make you re-sit your maths exam – that’s an extra year of night school and you’ll still never use Pythagoras Theorem.
- Never let anyone tell you what to think.
- Things might get really bad for a while but stay strong and life will deliver amazing opportunities.
- Never give up on your dreams.
- Keep writing and everything will fall into place.
- Cherish your family.
- Embrace the changes in technology as they arrive – you’re going to LOVE social media!
- An 18-30 Ibiza holiday is okay once, but travel as far and wide as you can because the world is an amazing place.
- Johnny Depp will always be gorgeous.
I’d love to hear what you would tell your 16-year-old self, let me know in the comments below.